HOW TO CHOOSE A GOOD RESEARCH TOPIC
Choosing a good research topic is important to any researcher. Every researcher must look around his environment and beyond to pick out problems which individuals. Organizations and society are having. A research topic reflects a particular problem facing an individual, organization or society.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTING A RESEARCH TOPIC
A good research topic should address the issue which the researcher intends to tackle. A good research topic must be of interest to the researcher. It should be sufficiently original and be significant. Research topic must make contributions to learning and should allow for feasible research.
CHOOSING A RESEARCH TOPIC
- Pick a topic that has been of special interest to you.
- Look through a list of research works previously carried out by individuals or institutions.
- Focus attention to a different time span, or
- Choosing a geographical area, or sample,
- Adopting a different design for the study.
- Read through the sections of a few research reports under the heading, “suggestions for further research”
- Consult a staff member, especially your academic adviser and discuss the issue of identifying a problem with him.
- Select a topic from a list drawn up your department or have a topic assigned to you by the department from their list.
EXAMPLES OF A RESEARCH TOPIC
Suppose a company like ZENOX Nigeria Ltd, is sustaining losses instead of making profit, then based on this problem, we will frame the topic: ‘internal Control in an Organization. A study of ZENOX Nigeria Ltd
Again let us take the second example of a real problem which occurred in Nigerian Bottling Company. The Nigerian Bottling Company Plc introduced a new soft drink called Fanta Chapman in the Nigerian market. The product attracted much attention at the time due to the television and other medium advertising used to promote it. Many consumers were stimulated and they wanted to try the new product. People desires on the product were not satisfied, and this turned the expectation of the company. The product failed in the market. Based on the manifesting phenomenon, the researcher can frame a research topic to reflect the problem. The research topic can run thus; “Product performance in the Nigerian Market, A study of Fanta Chapman”. The research topic can be stated as “Causes of Product Failure in the Market, A study of Fanta Chapman”.
You may also like : WHAT IS REASEARCH AND STEPS IN CONDUCTING A RESEARCH PROJECT